Monday, June 13, 2011

The Ex-Factor

the stars, the moon, they have all been blown out
how could you be so heartless?
Raised in Carolina, she said I'm not like that
you got new friends and I got homies, but in the end it's still lonely
tryin' to remind her when we go back
no dawn no day, I'm always in this twilight in the shadow of your heart.


And now Weiner plans to seek treatment. If you think about it, it's kind of depressing how a political scandal story unfolds in the news. Accusations are followed by denial followed by small unapologetic admission followed by further accusations followed by denial followed by admission followed by further accusations followed by apologetic admission, then remorse and finally the last defeat: 'plans to seek help'.

"I cheat on my wife, I'm going to seek help." "I had sex with an intern, I'm going to seek help." "I send lewd photos of myself to underage teens, I'm going to seek help."

This place is a zoo, you're right it's true.

I shake my head and I'm starting to think "Prices are high, politicians are philandering, and children don't respect their elders." This is a sign of aging.

I catch myself and realize that prices can only rise, politicians have always philandered, and children eventually grow up. Hopefully this is a sign of wisdom.

This is limbo time, time that I have time to think about things.

Time I can think up catchy lines like "The Ex-Factor", then realize it's probably been thought up before. The ex-factor is a surreal factor. The shadow of a person long gone spooking you every now and then for no reason other than a change in a room's lighting.

My ex, his ex, her ex, they jump out with claws every now and then when the mood is right. All the badness is forgotten, and you start thinking, "what went wrong" not necessarily because you wish things went right, but because you don't want wrongness to creep up on your present right and blindside you into demoting a solid person into another shadow.

Have you ever woken up next to someone who just had a nightmare?
You realize your significance then.

Darling, now THAT'S a song for messy thoughts. (He can't reply because he's asleep.)

No comments: