Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Collector's syndrome and the quest for completion

After some time of not visiting Xcess Bookstore at Amcorp, I found two treasures: Calvin and Hobbes 10th Anniversary Book by Bill Waterson and The Far Side Gallery by Gary Larson.

I opened the translucent tight wrapping, ripped off the price tag and removed all signs of evident
'newness' of the books soon to replace them with signs of 'Kyeness'. It's one of my favorite parts of buying a brand new book. It comes only second to putting the book with its new family members, the collection of older books I already have on the shelf. Presently I don't have a shelf, I only have an unopen box next to many unopen boxes, because I am still in the state of transition only the transition is taking awhile, but that is a sigh for another day. And certainly, adding a book into an open box is not at all the same as firmly sliding a book on a shelf so right now, ripping off the plastic or taking off the sticker is my favorite part of buying a brand new book.

I flipped open the first page of Calvin and Hobbes and looked through the list of other books available by the same author. Immediately, I sought to find the other books that I believe I already owned, just so that I can reunite the members of my collection, even if briefly. I realized that I have The Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes, The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes, and I'm pretty sure I have The Essential Calvin and Hobbes (though I don't know where it is right now) but I definitely don't have Calvin and Hobbes Lazy Sunday Book. The 10th Anniversary Book isn't actually part of the list of treasury books-- it is more like the edition with commentary. This is cool in itself, but now goes into my collection of 'other Calvin and Hobbes books', which is populated by the likes of Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat (which I actually gave to Hafiz, but maybe I want to weasel it back if he forgot it was a gift.), Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons, and The Days are Just Packed-- a collection that is even further from completion.

One book short! One book short of a complete Calvin and Hobbes treasury collection!
Alas.

No comments: