Monday, May 28, 2012

Multi-tasking

Multi-tasking would be unnecessary if I could manage my time better. I used to think being able to multi-task was a positive trait.

However, I realize now the idea of multi-tasking is a fallacy. And I think I was once informed that multi-tasking takes twice much time as doing individual tasks separately, if not more. For example if you take 5 minutes to write something down and take 5 minutes to finish a bowl of cereal done separately, it would take you not 10 minutes to do both simultaneously, but 20 minutes.

I realize that while the ability to multi-task seems to show good management skills, it actually is a symptom of poor management skills. It is better to plan your frame of time so that you can do each task separately in its own time, instead of try to do everything at the same time. Less awkwardness, less time consumed and less mistakes that need to be rectified, less time consumed.

I think it may also be reflective of thoughts. I think I have blogged previously about my inability to focus on one thought, and that my train of thought and thoughts run amok and this shines through my writing that is very difficult to follow at times. I want to try to focus on one thought at one time, flush it out, and then move to the next thought, flush that out, and so on. It may take less space and less commas and parentheses if I could learn to do this.




No comments: