Sunday, September 18, 2016

Melbourne

So it has been about a year since I was last in Melbourne. When I moved out of my apartment, I did not even take a single picture, too busy with arranging my shipment of boxes, filled with stuff I accumulated in 3 years + and making sure I get my bond back. I did not really feel all that sad even, but I always had delayed response. Anyway, a year later and suddenly I am feeling nostalgic for the Melburnian life. In some larger way, I am feeling nostalgic for the "carefree" days of PhD, where all I had to worry about was running my experiments and getting enough data to write about. Also missing the relaxed atmosphere and generally professional yet laidback, open and ego-restrained people at the Burnet. 
But specifically I miss:
1. Aldi. I dont know if its because I have low-class tastebuds or something, but all the Aldi-brand products trumps the higher end stuff they touted at Coles and Woolies.
2. Urban parks. Really miss having green areas with playground for the kids every few blocks.
3. Trams. Haha never thought I would. But theres something about seeing tram tracks on the road that reminds me of capillary networks. The veins of the city and all that.
4. Dukes/Journeyman. So far nothing has trumped the poached eggs and beetroot cured trout on kale and quinoa salad, or the decaf flat white at 
Dukes.
5. A bright blue-skied breezy cool day.
6. Morning runs on High St.
7. Fresh sashimi from Tsukiji.
8. The occasional trip to the CBD/Queen Vic Market. Something uplifting about all that hustle and bustle.
9. Having Omar in various cute warm things.
10. Sidewalks and being able to comfortably stroll from point A to point B without breaking a sweat.

Yea, I miss Melbourne.


No comments: